Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:03:30 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ports installation, knobs, etc (Was: Ports conflicts: `lib/libiberty.a')

Hello, Ade!
Sunday, October 12, 2003, 2:53:52 AM, you wrote:

AL> On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 02:04 US/Pacific, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>>   I don't think, it is good idea to "CONFLICTS=" all these binutils &
>>   gcc. May be, we need some "general" patch (like libtool's one) to
>>   disable installation of this library? Something like
>> FIX_LIBIBERTY=yes
>>   In port makefile?

AL> No.  Please no.  Oh lordy, no.  The maze of options, variables, hacks,
AL> and other bits and pieces needs to be reduced, not increased.  It's a
AL> staggeringly complex ball of wax already.
  It is good point.

  And here are many unique-for-port knobs... and not all maintainers
  make `pre=everything:' target to describe all these knobs...

  It seems, that we need some mechanism to describe such knobs
  automatically, like autoconf's AC_ARG_WITH or something like this.

  And my sweet dream: install ports to /var/... with port's
  (distfile's) `[g]make install' target, and then copy files to real
  prefix according to pkg-plist. It could solve MANY problems:
  automatic conflicts warning, easy skipping of unneeded files, etc...

  95% of ports allows such trick without many additional work: all
  autroconf's and Makefile.PL ports supports installation outside of
  configured prefix (gmake/make INSTALL_PREFIX=... install or
  something like this), and many other ports with good makefiles
  supports such operation too...

  RedHat's RPM works in such way. But it have many other drawbacks,
  IMHO.

               Lev Serebryakov