Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:28:22 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Managing ports and their dependencies.

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 07:22:35PM +0100, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> V so, 06. 12. 2003 v 19:15, Josef Karthauser p??e:
>=20
> > I've got loads and loads of ports installed on my box, most of which I
> > probably don't use, but I've no idea which ones these are.  Things like
> > kde install lots of dependancies, and so I've no idea just by looking at
> > the installed port names which ones I need and which ones I don't need.
> >=20
> > It should be possible to display ports and their dependancies as a
> > connected graph, and then the ports that appear on the leaves of the
> > tree would be the ones that I can consider removing.
> >=20
> > Does anyone have any code for doing something like this?  I thought
> > I'd ask before I started knocking it up myself.
>=20
> Be sure to check out port sysutils/pkg_cutleaves which do exactly what
> you want, in interactive fashion. Great for big sprint cleanup.
>=20

Wonderful.  That is _exactly_ what I was looking for.

Joe

p.s. has anyone noticed that we have so many ports now that it's almost
impossible to know whether there's anything good to install?  In the old
days you could go through each one and see whether it was worth
installing.  Now that would take forever :(.
> --=20
> Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
>               <pav@oook.cz>

--=20
Josef Karthauser (joe@tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D An eclectic mix of fact an=
d theory. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI--