Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 20:22:05 -0500
From:      Mark <sitedrifter@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update on SE7500 P4 SMP..

Robert Bopko wrote:

 > hi peter,
 >
 > i tried both values, but same panic message appears again.
 >
 > On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 12:35:09PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
 >
 >> This is a long shot, but has anybody tried correcting this value on
their
 >> machine:  sys/i386/i386/mpapic.c:
 >> #define bus_clock()     66000000
 >>
 >> Try changing it to 400000000 or 533000000 and see if that helps. I dont
 >> know what the local apic timer clock is based on.. it might be the
 >> quadrupled clock, the native FSB clock (100000000 or 133000000) or
 >> something else.  But since we have IPI delivery problems and the
IPI's do
 >> work on NetBSD (which calibrates this timer), this is a logical place to
 >> tinker with.
 >>
 >> Cheers,
 >> -Peter
 >> --
 >> Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com
 >> "All of this is for nothing if we don't go to the stars" - JMS/B5

Sorry if I am off base here but I have not seen this complete thread but
hopefully what I write might help.

I am running FreeBSD 4.7 stable (latest kernel source) on a P4 dual Xeon
Supermicro motherboard. When I recompiled the kernel for SMP and
rebooted it would always panic on the APIC interupt delivery. I then
enabled (just trying different things after researching this problem)
hyperthreading in the bios. The machine booted into FreeBSD with no
problems and 4 CPUs are showing as it should. (Hyperthreading is
basically a virtual CPU within the CPU). I am currently running CPU
intesive programs and the machine seems stable.

The only issue I have is that dmesg shows P4 1066Mhz speed which is
wrong as these are 2.4Ghz Xeons.I also tried the define bus_clock hack
but it did not help either but I was mostly hoping it would help with
proper CPU speed detection.The motherboard I am using is a Supermicro
SUPER X5DAE Intel 7505 chipset.

Here are some screen captures of my dmesg output and also top

APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
23651 book       64   0 13604K 12892K CPU2   2  92:56 99.02% 99.02% perl
25648 root      -6   0  1200K   788K CPU0  1   0:03  3.74%  3.61% find
25591 sysadmin  28   0  1908K  1040K CPU1   0   0:01  0.00%  0.00% top

I can only guess FreeBSD needs to support these chipsets when
Hyperthreading is disabled, unless it needs to be but I doubt that.

Mark