Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:10:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org> wrote:
 > On 2003-02-27 16:40 -0500, Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com> wrote:
 > > Mozilla has looked awful here ever since going past
 > > 1.1.-something, i.e. with addition of Xft.  Disabling Xft
 > > in the (newer) Mozilla build/install hasn't help much.
 >
 > If you have the mozilla-fonts package installed, then remove it.
 > Ironically, the newer mozillas don't get along with mozilla-fonts.
 > Go figure.

Ironically, the mozilla-fonts package was intended for older
versions of Mozilla (i.e. Netscape 2.x/3.x/4.x) to work around
a bug in MS Internet Explorer.

The MS IE had a bug to display certain fonts too large.
Consequently, web authors started using smaller font sizes
(<font size="-2"> and the like).  While those came out the
right size on MS IE, they were much too small and unreadable
on browsers which tried to render the fonts correctly, such
as Netscape/Mozilla.  Therefore, the mozilla-fonts package
was "invented" as a work-around:  It contains fonts at a
readable size whose recorded sizes (in the font files) are
smaller than they actually are.  The result is, that the
browser uses these fonts, thinking that they are as small
as the web page author specified, but actually they come out
larger (i.e. readable).  In other words:  These fonts simulate
the old font bug of MS IE.

I agree that it should be removed if installed.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet.  Here's what I worry about.  I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
       -- Mike Godwin