Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:52:26 +0400
From:      Wartan Hachaturow <wart@tepkom.ru>
To:        standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make -p

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 07:58:11PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> A question: should we make ``make -p'' an alias for ``make -n -dg1'',
> for POSIX-200x comformance?

Yes, but "-dg1" only would be enough, afaiu.

"-p
    Write to standard output the complete set of macro definitions and
    target descriptions. The output format is unspecified."

i.e., we're not obliged to print commands to be executed, but macros and
targets -- -dg1 does that. But I think that in case of  "-p" make should
not process to the build itself -- with "-dg1" only it does now.

--
Regards, Wartan.