Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 2004 04:39:02 -0800
From:      FBSD_AS1200 <mail_list@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   xfree86 support for AS1200

Just wanted to get some comments or opinions on the AS1200 suggestions received from the XFree86 mailing list as quoted below.

FBSD_AS1200 wrote (in a message from Saturday 3)
 > Thank you for the reference. I have read the note but still don't feel
 > any closer to finding support for my system. The Domain.note appears to
 > be geared toward sun linux systems. While the note did mention
 > multi-domain alpha systems (I assume this is a ref to multi pci-host
 > bridges) I am still not clear on how I should implement an XFree86
 > system on an AlphaServer 1200 under FreeBSD. I think I MUST be missing a
 > point or two... Would it be possible to find further documentation on
 > this issue so I can get up to speed on X development. From the post I
 > have been reading on XFree86 and FreeBSD mailing list there are several
 > people with multi-pci bus alpha systems that would like to assist in
 > getting XFree up and running under a BSD variant. Thank you for your
 > assistance!

I'm sorry, I don't know any other written documentation that could
help you.
What you need is to implement the xf86GetPciDomain(), xf86MapDomainMemory(),
xf86MapDomainIO() and xf86ReadDomainMemory(). functions in
freebsdPci.c. Once you've done this, you can edit Pci.h and remove
the INCLUDE_XF86_NO_DOMAIN for FreeBSD/alpha. Then the XFree86 drivers
will be able to access the video card(s) independently of the bus they
are attached to.

There can be 2 approaches for that :

- if the FreeBSD kernel already provides an API to enumerate the PCI
  host bridges and the configuration space and memory mappings for
  each host bridge, use that (this is what freebsdPci.c currently does
  for a single host bridge).

- it there's no such interface available, then you need to develop a
  driver that will poke directly into the main chipset I/O registers
  to probe the various host bridges and handle their memory mappings
  from userland. This is for instance what sparcPci.c does for SunOS.