Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:04:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  need suggestions on making a wireless network using bluetooth

> > >Encryption is a good idea for any wireless network.
> > >I believe bluetooth has a little more in this respect over 802.11 but
> > >I do not know any sure statement whether by itself it is enough.
> > >Eg you may need to run IPSec or similar over any wireless link to secure
> > >your data.
> > I don't mean bluetooth has better encryption ... I mean bluetooth cannot
> > pass through walls, making it diffcult to listen network traffic outside
> > the building:)
>
> While bluetooth is primarily designed as a short-range cable replacement,
> it does use the same frequency range as 802.11 (2.4Ghz).
>
> I have seen bluetooth modules that can reportedly work at up to 100m.

that is correct.

> Practical experience in an office environment shows I can do LAN/dial up
> easily over a distance 15-20m without direct line of sight to a handset.

that is also correct. the range can be increased by using better antenna
and increased power.

> The bluetooth layer2 encryption can however be tougher to crack than the
> WEP used in 802.11.   Of course it only works if you enable it.

personally, i do not think bluetooth link encryption would be harder to
break then say WEP. i do not think that anyone actually looked into this.
i recall an article about flaws in bluetooth link encryption but i can
not find the link at the moment.

as far as i know no one found/published the way to put of the shelf bluetooth
device into monitor/promiscuous mode as one can do with prism based 802.11
cards (this statement *doesn't* mean that it cannot be done). that is the
only thing that is preventing anyone from snooping on bluetooth network.

i did mentioned bluetooth scanners/protocol analyzers in my previous email.
have a look at http://www.palowireless.com/bluetooth/testequip.asp

if (when) bluetooth gains more popularity as 802.11 then someone will find
a cheap and easy way to snoop on bluetooth network. there is nothing you can
do about it.

> Personally when using any fixed/wireless network for sensitive
> application I would use encryption at layer3 also (IPsec) at minimum.

again i agree. i have one thing to say though. if someone really wants
to get your data, he/she will. one way or another. there is still a human
factor. you still need to communicate with the rest of the world using
public internet etc.

thanks,
max