Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:49:16 +0600
From:      Free BSD <freebsd@vfemail.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2.1, SAMBA 2.2.8, OpenLDAP 2.2.5, Courier-IMAP 2.2.1

Dear All

Hello. I had been trying to set up a centralized authentication system
in my box with the above softwares. Currently I am using LDAP backend to
authenticate Samba, and both users and WorkStations can identify
themselves and log in to the DOMAIN flawlessly. They can both log in
through the LDAP authentication via Samba and access their respective
shares. But I seem to be failing in trying to authenticate the
Courier-IMAP via the LDAP.

Samba is authenticating through OpenLDAP backend (with roaming profile,
etc.). No problem at that end. But even though I am modifying the pop3,
pop3.cnf and authldaprc.sh file, I don't seem to be able to connect to
the server via Courier.

supposing, one of my user user1@testdom.org is trying to authenticate. I
am trying this through telnet localhost 110 command, and the session
goes like

FreeBSD# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user user1@testdom.org
+OK Password required.
pass user1
-ERR Login failed.

Since I am unable to find any log file (the file /var/log/slapd.log is
not updated,
even though I have local4.debug /var/log/slapd.log entry in my
/etc/syslogd.conf
file) -- I am quite uncertain as what to do next. Attempts to capture
packets yielded
the following result

When logging in through SAMBA, I see a lot of packets being exchanged.
But when I try to connect through POP-3, there is not a single packet
being exchanged. Appearently the Courier POP is not trying to connect to
the LDAP server for authentication ? ? ? Any suggestion on what to check
next?

Can someone please help? Pointers to documents (not the Postfix Courier
LDAP one, please) that can help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.