Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:39:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Contributing to the FreeBSD documentation (was: Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors chapter.sgml)

On 2004-11-14 00:18, Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Anyway I'm not doc fellow, I'll leave it up on someone with doc hat.

Note that the following paragraphs are not a statement of the official
policy of the FreeBSD Documentation Project, but my personal stance on
the matter.

IMHO, the fact that someone has a doc commit bit is almost entirely
irrelevant to the value of one's suggestions or comments.  Agreed, there
may be issues regarding which someone who has no commit bit may not have
the ``full picture'' -- especially in things regarding the machines of
the FreeBSD.org cluster -- but that's pretty much it.

Suggestions, comments or even complaints from people who are not
committers are as respectful and should be considered as seriously as
those that come from members of the team.  At least, this is my reading
of the following snippet, taken directly from the "Committer's Guide":

: Respect other contributors
: --------------------------
:
: You were not always a committer. At one time you were a
: contributor. Remember that at all times. Remember what it was like
: trying to get help and attention.  Do not forget that your work as a
: contributor was very important to you.  Remember what it was like. Do
: not discourage, belittle, or demean contributors.  Treat them with
: respect.  They are our committers in waiting.  They are every bit as
: important to the project as committers. Their contributions are as
: valid and as important as your own.  After all, you made many
: contributions before you became a committer.  Always remember that.
:
: Consider the points raised under ``Respect Other Committers'' and
: apply them also to contributors.

Bearing that in mind, I am always willing to accept and at least give as
serious a consideration as possible to comments and/or suggestions from
anyone.  Regardless of their status as committers or not.

So, Pav, if you have patches or even mere comments that may improve the
docs, just let me know.  The fact that you are not a "doc" committer
will not in any way affect the way *I* will consider your proposals.

The same goes for anyone else who wants to help with the docs :-)

I'm also quite confident that this is how many other doc committers feel
too, although I haven't explicitly asked about this.  I don't think I
need to.  The way so many people of diverse ages, nationalities,
locations and amounts of spare time have cooperated in the past and
still seems to suggest so.

Regards,

- Giorgos