Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:49:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ISA card and if_ed as module

[keep replies to the list and I'll catch up later, thanks]

Hallowed hackers:

Is it to be expected that the kernel if_ed.ko module appears to
be unable to probe and attach an ISA NIC, while when I build the
ed* support into the kernel, it works?  This is with RELENG_4.

Or should kernel modules be able to probe and attach ISA as well
as pci/pccard devices?  Sorry if this is a questions@ type of
question, but I'd like an explanation too...

I've added a bunch of debuggery to see which routines get invoked
at `kldload' time.  I see that ed_pci_probe is called a couple of
times, and at boot a couple more times.  However, in neither case
does my debugging to indicate that any ISA probe might be happening,
show up, which reflects the total absence of any ed0 messages at
boot, unless I build the device into the kernel.

If there's a good reason why, I'll be happy to keep ed* in my kernel
(maybe, I'm not sure if the presence of `miibus' as well causes
problems with the autoloading of module miibus when other NIC
modules get loaded...)

thanks
barry bouwsma