Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:50:11 +0200
From:      Thiemo Nordenholz <listmember@thiemo.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to access a device on LPC bus?

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

Hi there,

beginner's question, maybe: How do I, from a device driver point of view,
access a device attached to the "Low Pincount" (LPC) bus?=20

I have a Winbond W83L518D card reader controller in a notebook that I want
to access. The only way I see this device at all is (on 5.3-BETA7) in
"pnpinfo -v" output, where it shows up as=20

    unknown pnpinfo _HID=3DWEC0518 _UID=3D0 at handle=3D\_SB_.C046.C059.C140

-- I have identified it then by the Hardware ID. I do not see any more
information, especially no resource usage.

As far as I have read, the LPC bus devices can accessed just like ISA
devices. Actually, what seems to be the ACPI parent of this Winbond chip
(with handle \_SB_.C046.C059) is shown as isab0 in the devinfo output.

Now, to implement an identify function in a driver for this, I need to
access data in the controller - but I don't have any information about its
memory attachments...=20
Could anyone give me a hint what to do here, some driver to look into for an
example, or just tell me that my idea of an ISA driver on fBSD is completely
wrong?

Thanks in advance,
  Thiemo

--=20