Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2004 20:28:04 -0500
From:      "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cannot compile a simple program..

I made a simple hello.c

--------

#include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
   printf("Hello World\n");
   return 0;
}

--------

When I do this:

lrids# cc -o helloworld hello.c
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
lrids#

It also creates a ld.core in the same directory.

I was given this machine to configure it to run as an IDS system.  After =
some ports install attempts, compilings were failing.

I would like to have any suggestions to figure out exactly what is =
causing it.

My guess is a hardware part such as processor or ram is failing.

Here are some info about this machine.

It was fresh install of 4.10 from a mini version of the downloaded iso =
image.

There is no /etc/make.conf so it's untouched.

No customized kernel.  It is using the GENERIC version.

I tried to use gdb:

---------
lrids# gdb ld.core
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain =
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for =
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...

"/usr/home/chaulmark/ld.core": not in executable format: File format not =
recognized

(gdb) quit
lrids# file ld.core
ld.core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), =
FreeBSD-style, from 'ld'
lrids#

---------

I'm open to any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem.

--
Chris Haulmark