Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:31:44 GMT
From:      Ray Newman <raymond@unixworks.com.au>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/68140: Problem with Sony AIT ATAPI Tape dirve

>Number:         68140
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Problem with Sony AIT ATAPI Tape dirve
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have added a Sony SDX-420 ATAPI tape drive to a FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE system.
The tape successfully does a dump and restore on this system but when
the tape is taken to a Sony SDX-400 SCSI tape drive on a FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
system, restore insists that the tape blocks are 512 bytes and this is
not a multiple of 1024 (the tape was created with a -b 32).

I have then taken the backup from the SCSI drive (where it reads) and attempted
to read it on the ATAPI drive; the result looks like:

monster# mt -f /dev/nast0 status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      0x1
---------available modes---------
0:        default              variable       0        none
1:        default              variable       0        none
2:        default              variable       0        none
3:        default              variable       0        none
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0
monster# mt -f /dev/nast0 rew
monster# restore -t -b32 -f /dev/nast0
Tape read error while trying to set up tape
continue? [yn] y
Tape is not a dump tape
monster# atacontrol info 1
Master: ast0 <SONY SDX-420C/0101> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
Slave:  acd0 <SONY CD-RW CRX175A1/5YS3> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
monster# atacontrol mode 1
Master = UDMA66                                         <<<--- I had set this
Slave  = PIO4
monster# atacontrol reinit 1
Master: ast0 <SONY SDX-420C/0101> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
Slave:  acd0 <SONY CD-RW CRX175A1/5YS3> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
monster# atacontrol mode 1
Master = PIO4                                           <<<--- It reverts
Slave  = PIO4
monster# mt -f /dev/nast0 rew
monster# restore -t -b32 -f /dev/nast0
Tape read error while trying to set up tape
continue? [yn] y
Tape is not a dump tape

>How-To-Repeat:
as above