Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:02:09 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <dgerow@afflictions.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer/mencoder with bktr(4) device

Thus spake Michael Nottebrock (michaelnottebrock@gmx.net) [28/08/04 17:31]:
: > I mean that the picture is fuzzy, there's horizontal lines going down the
: > back, the colour's off in places...
:
: With S-Video? That really sounds like there's something wrong with the video
: source. Are you using a SCART/S-VIDEO converter perhaps? In that case you'd
: might to switch the signal to s-video at the video source first...

Yep, with S-Video.  Via mplayer, the RCA in is much cleaner than the S-Video
in.  Which is the whole reason for my post -- I'm obviously doing something
wrong, I just don't know what.

I rebooted into Windows and tested the card out -- while the S-Video is not
as clear as I'd like it to be, it's better than RCA in under that OS -- the
picture's much cleaner and crisper, there's no artifacts on the screen, and
it doesn't hurt my eyes to watch for longer than ten minutes.

I'm wondering if cabling will be an issue here -- I've got a dirt-cheap
cable that I'm using, I might try to find a different one to see if that
helps at all.  No, it won't help the deinterlacing issues, but it might make
other problems go away.

And no, I believe it's S-Video at the source.