Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 2004 10:01:36 -0700
From:      "Peter Barton" <peter_barton_bsd@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP not connecting

Hello -

I am trying to connect my server to a cable modem but my dhclient can't find
any DHCP servers. I have searched all kinds of discussion groups in order to
find out what is wrong with it but I don't seem to be able to find the
problem. My network card seems to be working (active status in ifconfig
output) and I have specified in /etc/rc.conf that I want this card to use
DHCP. My understanding is that all the other setup options for a firewall
(that's what I want to do) come in play later so I should not have to worry
about NAT and IP filtering etc. at this point. I just want to run
sysinstall, specify that I want to use DHCP, and see something come back to
me. So far it always expires.

Thank you very much,
Peter