Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:53:57 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc:        Shane James <shane@virtek.co.za>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ALTQ + PF Problem

--nextPart4402261.pMUyUfQ44X

On Saturday 13 November 2004 21:58, Shane James wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm having a problem with pf + altq on FreeBSD 5.2.1 (FreeBSD
> uplink-rtr-jhb.virtek.co.za 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 #=
1:
> Sat Nov 13 15:59:38 SAST 2004
> root@uplink-rtr-jhb.virtek.co.za:/usr/src/sys.altq/i386/compile/UPLINK
> i386)
>
> The Traffic I assign to queue's does not get limited according to the
> specific limit, it only get's limited by the global bandwidth limited
> assign to the specific NIC.
> e.g. I assign traffic to a queue(argon_d) which is limited to 128Kb... but
> it performs at 256Kb which is what the NIC is set to. therefore not being
> assigned to it's designated queue. is it at all possible that this is a
> problem perhaps with my Network cards... if not... any suggestions?
>
> pf.conf
>
> altq on $uplink_if bandwidth 256Kb hfsc queue { dflt_u, argon_u }
> queue argon_u hfsc(realtime 64Kb upperlimit 64Kb)
> queue dflt_u hfsc(default upperlimit 128Kb)
>
> altq on $hosting_if bandwidth 256Kb hfsc queue { dflt_d, argon_d }
> queue argon_d hfsc(realtime 64Kb upperlimit 64Kb)
> queue dflt_d hfsc(default upperlimit 128Kb)
>
> #assign argon traffic
> pass out on $uplink_if from 196.23.168.137 to any keep state queue argon_u
> pass out on $hosting_if from any to 196.23.168.137 keep state queue argon=
_d

I assume that is not your *complete* ruleset?!? Can everybody please post=20
complete rulesets when asking for help? It is okay to emphasize the parts=20
that you think are important as it will help to understand the problem, but=
=20
giving advice or debugging it impossible without the complete ruleset.

Other than that, what does "$pfctl -vvsq" tell you? Does it show that traff=
ic=20
is being assigned to the small queue at all?

=2D-=20