Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 11:53:50 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Cc:        lukem@netbsd.org
Subject:   rcorder keep list

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

While working on some diskless cluster support I realized that it would
be useful to be able to run initdiskless (and its requirement
preseedrandom) before the main rcorder run.  This would allow inserting
new scripts using /conf to reduce the number of modifications required
to the source tree.

The obvious thing to do seemed to be to tag scripts that need to run
before the main rcorder run in some way.  I tried taging them with
an early keyword, but ran into a problem with rcorder because I then
need to check for both FreeBSD and early keywords.  I was suprised to
discover that keep lists are evaluated as an OR operation so you only
need to have one of they keyword.  The only way I can see to evaluate
them with AND is something like:

files=3D`rcorder -k keyword1 /etc/rc.d/*`
files=3D`rcorder -k keyword2 ${files}`

This seems to be a somewhat expensive solution. Also, the documentation
is a bit vague.  I'd tend to read it as an AND not an OR list, but I'm
not 100% sure and I've got an obvious bias:

     -k      Add the specified keyword to the ``keep list''.  If any -k opt=
ion
             is given, only those files containing the matching keyword are
             listed.

Is the current implemenation correct?  If so, should we add the ability
to make the list evaluate as AND instead of OR or even change the
behavior?

-- Brooks

--=20

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL