Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:25:41 +0200
From:      Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel@shemesh.biz>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trolling and helping a spammer (was Re: New Open Source License: Single Supplier Open Source License)

Hi guys,

First, someone who sends the same email to at least four mailing lists
(freebsd, wine-devel, postgresql-hackers and ossi) is a spammer in my
book. Replying to his email, especially to lists that are not relevant
(i.e. - any but ossi) is helping him along.

To answer his (asked) question - since this license is clearly LGPL
incompatible, I don't think he is likely to make contributions to Wine
under this license. At least, not contributions that will be accepted.
As his license is also BSD incompatible, I dare say it is equally off
topic for FreeBSD and postgresql.

This guy is obviously trying to solve the "how can I make money from
free software" dillema by introducing a proprietary license and calling
it "OpenSource". Interesting idea, but it has been tried before
(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/default.mspx, except
they didn't have the audacity to call it open source). This is just a
proprietary license. Nothing more to see here. Move along.

                Shachar

P.S.
the archives did not show this particular Richard Schilling post. I was
not sure whether to dump this mail (which is just as off topic as the
original one) on that list as well. I'm sorry if I chose wrong.

I did notice that on stable@freebsd, Richard is at least an occasional
poster. Here on Wine-devel he is a first time poster as far as I can
see. This may explain the difference in responses between the lists.

                Sh.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting