Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:20:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/63173: Patch to add getopt_long_only(3) to libc

The following reply was made to PR standards/63173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To: Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:12:41 +0100

 On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
 > On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:57:06PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
 > > 	after applying the patch still doesn't implement getopt(3) and
 > > 	therefore replace src/lib/libc/stdlib/getopt.c, i.e. it doesn't
 > > 	define REPLACE_GETOPT, yet. This is something that should be taken
 > > 	into consideration for FreeBSD 6 (regardless if the patch is applied
 > > 	or not).
 >
 > Please always consider POSIX as superceeded standard against GNU/Linux.
 >
 > It means your patch for header is wrong. If POSIX says that getopt() must
 > be declared in <unistd.h>, it is only place where is must be declared, and
 > not in <getopt.h> etc. If you need its declaration in non-standard header
 > <getopt.h>, <unistd.h> must be included, as was done before your patch.
 > Also please remove all getopt()-related redeclarations from <getopt.h>

 Well, that's exactly the point where I got confused as e.g. according
 to the Single UNIX Specification Version 2 getsubopt(3) should live in
 stdlib.h, yet on FreeBSD it's primarily in unistd.h with a second
 declaration in stdlib.h. :)
 The intention of the way it's done in OpenBSD and the patch is to
 declare getopt(3) etc. unconditionally as done by the GNU getopt.h and
 not in specific namespaces (like __XSI_VISIBLE etc.). However, I don't
 feel strongly about it either way. I put up a new patch keeping getopt.h
 the way it was at:
 ftp://ftp.zeist.de/pub/patches/src_getopt_long_only.diff2

 Thanks for having a look at this!