Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:09:19 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH for a more-POSIX `ps', and related adventures

At 3:51 PM -0500 3/20/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>The update weighs in at almost 900 lines, and is available at:
>http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/ps-susv3.diff

I should mention that right now my intent is to commit all of this
to -current next weekend (Mar 27th), unless there are any questions
still pending about it.  It's possible that I'll have to delay the
commit simply because I'm too busy to get to it, but at least for
right now that is my target date...

At 5:21 PM -0500 3/20/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>For `-U', there is a minor change in error-processing behavior
>which should probably be done to match the standards, and to
>match how other operating systems handle the same errors.  But
>I did not make that change, because it was possible someone
>cares about the present behavior.  ....

>Would it be alright if I changed that to a fatal error, and
>thus removed the ten lines of comments where I'm wringing my
>hands in angst over making that change?

I think that what I'm going to for this is to commit it as I have
it right now (keep the present "warning-only" behavior), and then
commit a second commit to change that to a "fatal error" behavior.

I'll probably also break out the '-g' change to a separate update,
so I'll have one big update which should be "completely backwards
compatible", and then two tiny updates which change make the minor
incompatible changes.  If I do that right, the big update could
eventually be MFC'ed to 4.x.