Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:36:13 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Ports freeze for 4.11-R

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:38:53PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 12:30:28AM -0600, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> No, the 6.8.1 update has been in testing for a few weeks now.  There
> were a number of problems that needed to be fixed before committing,
> but it's almost ready now and should go in within the week.

Thanks.  Seemed like as good an opportunity as any to inquire about the
timeline.  It actually hadn't occured to me (as mentioned elsewhere)
that it wouldn't affect this release cycle given that 4.x is still using
XFree86.

I do believe the bug about which I was complaining is present in
post-4.3.0 versions of XFree86 and I do not know that the Xorg fix was
ever brought in to XFree86.  In light of this that particular bug may
never be fixed in 4.x, and that's okay with me.  I've only got a handful
of systems yet to be migrated to 5.x anyhow.

> > Does it help if I point out that NetBSD has already beat us to the punch
> > with Xorg 6.8.1 by over a month?  Come on, they've got a tiny little
> > ports tree.  ;-)
> Precisely, so it's less work to commit a major update without breaking
> anything.

Indeed.  I fully appreciate how complex the dependency tree for some of
this stuff is.  Just teasing a bit, no harm meant.  =)

Brandon
--
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  december is the best month for planting potato
                         in the low desert