Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:13:18 +1100
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        virek <virek@thai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asus a2000k ?

Yeah I just bought the A4000K
Which appears to be almost exactly the same but with larger 15.4 screen,
AMD64 mobile laptop right?
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=25&l3=130&model=18&modelmenu=1
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=24&l3=133&model=346&modelmenu=1
The only obvious difference I see is mine is a "ATI Mobility™ Radeon™
9700" while the A2000K is a " ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9700 PRO"

The sk ethernet didn't come up on 5.3release ISO until I installed the
5.x stable snapshot ISO.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-February/046535.html

It worked fine all night doing a big portupgrade install of xorg kde
etc, the sk0 watchdog timing started when trying to download the Linux
Java 1.4 stuff to it for a native java compile, but it almost appeared
that it just didn't like that big file, after a few reboots it
downloaded successfully.
Also my wireless device has come up, while I don't plan to use anyway.

Running xorgcfg did load up a nice basic xwindow (and working usb mouse)
without a problem, but I haven't setup my full environment yet, will
when my Java etc is done.

FYI I am using i386 instead of amd64 FreeBSD simply because there are to
many "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS = i386" ports that I need right now.
I did first boot from the AMD64 5.3release ISO and it booted up fine if
you choose "3" for safe mode else it will sit there when its about to
mount the hard drive? and the sk0 device didn't come up either in amd64
release

The only real gripes I have with this laptop is the fan noise is quite
load for a laptop when the machine is busy compiling stuff, its fan is
quiet when its not busy most of the time, and its also not as thin as I
would like it to be.. maybe the A2000k is thiner?

Cheers,
Michael