Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:17:12 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade system destruction?

I have a few dedicated servers at a hosting company (about 3 hours drive
time away).  On one of the systems I ran a 'portupgrade -arR' this
morning, and then disconnected (I ran it in a screen session). About an
hour later, I realized I could not log in anymore via ssh.  Seems that I
can connect, but my passwords fail (permission denied).  I can't FTP in,
or check mail with any username/password combos.  Even my preshared SSH
keys do not work.  When connecting via POP, I get this message:

Connected to hostname.
Escape character is '^]'.
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc-client4.so.8" not found
Connection closed by foreign host.

Can anyone help me figure out what may have gone wrong? And even how I
might be able to fix it remotely, or walk someone through a fix?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate; when in charge, ponder