Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:23:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
To:        Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IRC

--0-753103345-1126459381=:87302

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Hans Nieser wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> I just wanted to make a note - in the past I pushed that FreeBSD on IRC
>> is a good place for users to seek help - Well, I have been proven wrong.
>>=20
>> While it's true there MAY be a few decent IRC channels that actually
>> offer help with FreeBSD, I can now say that I was wrong to assume that
>> the majority of FBSD channels on IRC offer any type of FBSD help or even
>> care if they offer help.
>>=20
>> While I can't speak for EFNet, UnderNet and FreeNode - I can say for
>> sure that there are certain channels on DALNet that are NOT help channel=
s.
>>=20
>> While there are some decent users on IRC networks overall, it really
>> comes down to the management. And in the end - it's the management that
>> makes the channel.
>
> I'm a new FreeBSD user coming pretty much straight from Windows (well,  I=
=20
> have tinkered with linux a bit in the past), and I've been hanging out in=
=20
> #freebsd on FreeNode and QuakeNET and found them great places to get help=
=2E

> Despite the fact that some of my questions that I have asked in either=20
> channels could probably be answered by some googling or wading through=20
> manpages, I've only been told to RTFM one or twice ;)

I'm on #FreeBSD at undernet and been there since 1998.
It is not a spoon feeding channel, but asking the right questions one gets
often pointed in the right direction of reading material.

http://www.freebsddiary.org is also a nice place to lookup info on stuff
about freebsd ..

Best regards
S=F8ren Straarup

Soeren Straarup   | aka OZ2DAK aka Xride
FreeBSD wannabe   | FreeBSD since 2.2.6-R
    'We wanted to believe. But the tools
     had been taken away..' Mulder
--0-753103345-1126459381=:87302--