Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:02:25 -0500
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Kristian Vaaf <vaaf@broadpark.no>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> Why are you bothering?  TinyDNS isn't the "standard" nameserver that
> everyone and their dog has been using for time out of mind.  The people
> that push it seem to like it because it's simpler

I would have to disagree with that philosophy.
CCing chat.. since I am not actually adding anything of use to the original
poster...

If that mentality prevailed better software, commercial or open source,
would never gain wide acceptance. Take for instance Postfix. When Sendmail
was the total undisputed MTA, nobody would have bothered with it... but it
was simpler than sendmail.

The same applies with TinyDNS. For companies/users that have simple needs
something easier to use/learn/maintain is a good thing to go for.

> so I think the onus is on the TinyDNS people to understand what the
> defacto standard is, not the other way around.

Going back to the Sendmail vs Postfix example. The reason I went with
Postfix years ago was because it was totally different from sendmail.

If someone is happy with bind, great for them, but to say that everybody
should be using it I think it's neither realistic nor healthy for the Open
Source community. Often times the "Standard" servers do new features because
some small program somewhere came up with a great idea that the standard
program didn't have.

Lastly.. if we all would go with the "standard" there would be no FreeBSD,
no open source... just windows.