Date:      Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:59:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      NMH <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-DataBase <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mysql Dying at random times - points to a lib issue?

 Hello..

 Currently, our mysql database is crashing at random
intervals though out the day during heavy load.  A
mysql support engineer traced the problem to
libthr.

 #0 0x28619dfe in mutex_self_lock (mutex=0x0,
noblock=0) at
/usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_mutex.c:615
615 PANIC("Shouldn't resume here?\n");

 The Database server is running i386 FreeBSD 5.4
Release-P6, with 4 gigs of ram, on an
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 248 (2191.84-MHz 686-class
CPU). W/ infotrend raiding solution.

 Apparently, there have been some updates (beyond my
ability to understand) to the libthr package, which
have not yet been backported to the 5.4
release...?? (changes in 6.0 that seem pertinant)

 We have attempted to use KSE, and pthreads Binary
from MYSQL,  but we encountered even WORSE problems
with those packages.
 The mysqld would consistantly crash in those
threading
 packages, usually within a minute or so of testing...
 Usually with a message
 that a junk pointer was being released. (Error came
from malloc.c).

 We were able to reproduce the memory problem on a
seperate machine with a different hardware
configuration, but same OS.  And on other machines
with the same hardware configuration.

 A mysql support engineer is currently checking around
to see if there are any solutions, but meanwhile... I
thought many heads are better than one.

 All of these problems started when we migrated to
this new server, which hardware wise was very similiar
to the old one. However the old one was running Mysql
4.0.18 and FreeBSD 5.1-Release-P11.
 According to /usr/src/UPDATING some lib changes
occured after this time.

 Currenly, on their suggestion, we are using
/etc/libmap.conf entry of
 libpthread.so 	libthr.so
 libpthread.co.1  libthr.so.1

 Which seems backwards to what people on here have
recommended. But seemed to help but we are still
crashing at least once a day sometimes more.

 Any pointers, tips etc quite welcomed.

 Thanks!

The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
 -- Anon

http://mail.yahoo.com