Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:00:49 -0800
From:      "Dave Myron" <dave@orangechicken.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fresh 5.3 install panicking on Asus P4C800 with Promise 20378 Controller enabled

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here but I've been using FreeBSD for several years
(though always learning just enough to accomplish what I want to do).

I have a situation here. My Asus P4C800 Deluxe has a Promise 20378
controller onboard (which according to ata(4) is supported) but every time I
boot up when it is enabled I get these messages:

	ata4-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
	ata4-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
	ata4-slave: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
	ata4-slave: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
	ata4-slave: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFERMODE timed out

Followed by a panic (fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode) and
then the machine reboots.

On this Promise controller I have two drives on one cable on the P-ATA
(PRI_RAID) IDE interface. Both S-ATA devices are not in use. During POST,
the drives are both correctly identified and enumerated.

One strange thing though is that in the BIOS, after Primary IDE Master (a
40G WD HDD), Primary IDE Slave (a 40G WD HDD), Secondary IDE Master (a CD
drive), and Secondary IDE Master (not in use) there are two more entries:
Third IDE Master and Fourth IDE Master. Both are empty (though it seems like
my drives should show up as master & slave under one of them.). The drives
do show up in the BIOS under Boot > Hard Drives so I know that they're
detected. So maybe them missing in Third and Fourth IDE Masters is not even
relevant info here.

If I disable the Promise controller then everything boots fine. I also have
ACPI disabled in the kernel (it wouldn't get past the ninth or tenth line in
the boot up output when it's on).

I saw in freebsd-current that there was talk of an ATA regression where some
of these ATA_IDENTIFY messages were being seen but they didn't seem to
contain the SETFEATURES time out so maybe it's unrelated.

Anyhow, I'd love to get this controller working so that I can get back to my
work files. If you know of existing patches please point them out (and I'll
have to find instructions on how to apply them but c'est la vie). Thanks in
advance,

chicken