Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Bose <cbose_007@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with: OSPF thru GIF tunnels or Netgraph tunnels, Multicast

Hi All,

I’m trying to setup a network between two locations over a WAN and I’m running into a wall when I try to get OSPF to talk over my WAN tunnel.  I’ve realized that I’m not smart enough and need your help.

The problem is as follows:

My network consists of the following:

Site A connects together with a few quagga routers on freebsd 4.8

Site A:

   Router 1: FXP0 (10.1.1.1/24)

   Router 1: FXP0 (10.1.2.1/24)

   Router 1: FXP0 (10.1.3.1/24)

   Router 1: GIF0 (10.1.4.1 -> 10.2.4.1)

Site B connects to site A by using the GIF interface over the public network

SiteB:

Router 2: FXP0 (10.2.1.1/24)

Router 2: FXP0 (10.2.2.1/24)

Router 2: FXP0 (10.2.3.1/24)

Router 2: GIF0 (10.2.4.1 -> 10.1.4.1)

I run OSPFv2 (quagga) at Site A and at Site B.  There is no problem connecting site A & B together via OSPF over the GIF0 tunnel.  Essential OSPF multicasts its route advertisements thru the GIF tunnel to the other side.  This works fine because the OSPF router and the GIF tunnel are both on the same freebsd computer

Now here is what I’m trying to do to setup site C.

At site C  I need to separate this into two computers.  Once computer will terminate the GIF tunnel and the other computer runs the OSPF router.

So the setup between A and B looks like this:

SiteA:Computer 1           SiteB:Computer 2

(OSPF + GIF0) ============== (GIF0 + OSPF)

And setup between Site B and C looks like this:

SiteB:Computer 2          SiteC:Computer 3  SiteC:computer 4

(OSPF + GIF1) ============== (GIF1)  ---------(OSPF)

=== denotes GIF tunnel

--- denotes normal Ethernet connection

Computer 3 has two ethernet interfaces

The problem that I have is I can’t get Computer 4 to communicate to computer 2 thru the GIF.  The computers can ping each other, but the OSPF multicast packets don’t go thru.

I have tried IPFW fwd commands on computer 3

>Ifpw fwd computer 2 ip from computer 4 to any

But that didn’t work

I’ve tried Ethernet bridging… but bridging doesn’t work on a Gif interface.

I’ve tried to replace the gif tunnel with Netgraph UDP tunnel, but I can’t use that in the bridge either.

I used the sample in /src/examples/netgraph/bridge.

I have not tried L2TPv3…

So my question is how to get the above configuration working.  I think this should be really simple to do, it’s a typical configuration as far as I can tell.  Please show your ingenuity with your reply.  I really appreciate it.

I tried to make the example generic without any configuration files because there is nothing specific about my configuration.  Please post your own configuration for the above if applicable.  You can assume that I have a virgin computer and I can configure it any which way I want.  If you need me to give you any configuration please let me know.  If you want me to post a better network diagram please let me know as well.

Many thanks,

Chris.