Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 02:18:03 -0400
From:      Daemon <daemon@foxchat.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pipe and Queue

I have a 2 part question.

#1 I have tried to set up some pipe rules to shape the bandwidth on my
internal network.  They are as follows;

${iip} = internal subnet
${oif} = external Nic

${fwcmd} add 240 pipe 1 all from ${iip} to any xmit ${oif}
${fwcmd} pipe 1 config mask src-ip 0xffffffff bw 35Kbits/s delay 100ms
queue 40Kbytes

${fwcmd} add 241 pipe 2 all from any to ${iip} recv ${oif}
${fwcmd} pipe 2 config mask dst-ip 0xffffffff bw 4000Kbits/s delay 100ms
queue 40Kbytes

What I'd like to know is, do I have it set up correctly and are the
queues of sufficient size?  Is there a better way to do it?  The reason
I ask is, one of my kids loves to use bittorrent and sometimes they
forget to control their upload.  When they do forget, one by one, all my
connects close and it gets really annoying.

#2  Which is better to run in a production environment, Stable or
Release?  The reason I ask is, I have read in the handbook that Release
should be run in a production environment, however, I also read that if
one wishes to use altq with IPFW then they must "update" to Stable.
Stable being FreeBSD 5.4.  I'm currently running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7

Regards,

Mark