Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:01:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Eivind Hestnes" <eivind@stabbursmoen.no>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with CARP, VLANs and em driver

Hi,

I recently configured two FreeBSD 5.3 (with XL 3c905C NIC) boxes to act as
one logic router (preemption) between multiple VLANs. The router
has now been in production for four weeks (under heavy load, too), and I
have not run into any problems what-so-ever. Failover is almost
transparent, and the robustness is awesome. All in all, i'm very happy
with CARP.

But to provide more bandwidth to our users, I bought a Intel Pro 1000 MT
(PWLA8490MT) to replace the 3Com 905c card in the master. With some
hacking, I managed to get the Intel card to talk with the VLANs (had to
disable VLAN hardware tagging, as this didn't work with promiscuous mode).

The problem however, is that the CARP interfaces on the master does not
change mode from INIT to MASTER with the Intel card installed. In other
words; the master do not replace the slave.

I have tried the 2.0.5 em driver from Intel (instead of the 1.7.35), but
with no success. Is there some problems with the em driver and CARP,
or must the master and slave have identical NICs?

Regards,
Eivind Hestnes