Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:06:05 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        "Freek Nossin" <freeknossin@tiscali.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: format slice

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:04:06 +0100
"Freek Nossin" <freeknossin@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> > > Then I used bsdlabel to create a label on ad0s1 by typing:
> > >
> > > #bsdlabel -w ad0s1
> > >
> > > And following the handbook, my next command was:
> > >
> > > #bsdlabel -e ad0s1
> > >
> > > Now I wrote in the text editor (I admit, after 4 tries and a lot
> > > of reading...):
> > >
> > > # /dev/ad0s1:
> > > 8 partitions:
> > > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> > >   c: 20820177        0    unused        0     0         # "raw"
> > >   part, don't e: 20820177        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384 32776
> > >

> > > now I wanted to use newfs to create a file system on ad0s1e, but
> > > it could not. My problem is illustrated by my ls output:
> > >
> > > pcwin451# ls /dev/ad*
> > > /dev/ad0        /dev/ad0s2      /dev/ad0s2b     /dev/ad0s2d
> > > /dev/ad0s1      /dev/ad0s2a     /dev/ad0s2c     /dev/ad0s2e
> > >
> > > bsdlabel -e didn't create a new partition, although the output of
> > > bsdlabel ad0s1 is:
> > >
> > > pcwin451# disklabel ad0s1
> > > # /dev/ad0s1:
> > > 8 partitions:
> > > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> > >   c: 20820177        0    unused        0     0         # "raw"
> > >   part, don't
> > > edit
> > >   e: 20820161       16    4.2BSD     2048 16384 32776
> > >
> > > How can this be? (and how do I fix it...?)
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help already so far
> > >
> > > Freek
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > In my second disk I have free space between two slices so I tried
> > the procedure by myself.
> >
> > When I did a 'bsdlabel -w /dev/adXsY' (without editing them) I ended
> > with a partition labeled 'a', and it instantly appeared in '/dev/'.
> > Then I did what you have done ('bsdlabel -e <slice>') and it also
> > appeared in'/dev'.
> >
> > I do not know about this, but maybe this helps:
> >
> > 1) Try with only 'bsdlabel -w <slice>'. The partition should appear
> > as'a'.
> >
> > 2) If the partition does not appear in '/dev/' then you can
> > reinitialize the ATA channel (0 or 1, I think your disk is in 0)
> > your disk is in, with 'atacontrol reinit <channel>'. For a list of
> > ATA channels with the devices do 'atacontrol list'.
> >
> > ***WARNING***: do ***NOT*** 'detach' and 'attach' the channel your
> > device your running hard disk (that contain the FreeBSD you are
> > running) is connected to (but you can safely 'reinit' it). A
> > 'detach' removes the disk and slices/partitions from the kernel and
> > powers down the devices in that channel, so FreeBSD will stall when
> > it tries to read/write on its partitions ('/', '/usr', etc.). I
> > could detach and atach it once (in less than 5 seconds), but the
> > other time it crashed my machine (I had to rewrite this mail three
> > times, because I was experimenting with 'atacontrol'). It is more
> > safe to reboot the machine.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ale
>

> Thank, but unfortunately it dit not help

> [...]

Have you tried to reinitialize the ata channel before changing the
partitions?

Try unmounting '/dev' and mounting it again (forcing it with '-f').

If the problem persist, the only alternative is to reboot. Do you have a
dynamic IP? If that is the case it is possible to add a crontab entry
that executes a script on each system startup. The script can send you
an e-mail to you using the internal sendmail (must be enabled for that)
relay so it will contain the IP of your server (in the complete
headers). Alternatively the script can upload a file containing the
output of 'ifconfig' to an FTP site.

If you are interested you can ask me for more information.

Best Regards,
Ale