Date:      Sat, 14 May 2005 20:06:14 -0400
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Per Berger <freebsd@stortsett.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter and logging...

in message <4285EEDF.4070902@stortsett.se>, wrote Per Berger
thusly...

> The handbook says that I can add "security.*" in syslog.conf and
> specify a logfile to log the firewall.  But there is already an
> entry in syslog.conf "security.*" from install ( I am running
> 5.4-RELEASE upgraded from 5.3 via cvsup (which worked great
> btw...)) pointing at /var/log/security. And all logging goes to
> /var/log/security. But at least some of it goes also to
> /var/log/messages; seems to be the "final" rules that goes there,
> i.e.  such as "block in log first quick on fxp0 all".

(reformatted the syslog.conf entries)
> *.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err  /var/log/messages
  ^ ^ ^ ^
  ^ ^ ^ ^
> security.*   /var/log/security

According to above entries & ipmon(8) man page ...

  -s  Packet  information  read in will be sent through syslogd rather
      than saved to a file.  The default facility  when  compiled  and
      installed is security.  The following levels are used:

      LOG_INFO  - packets logged using the "log" keyword as the action
      rather than pass or block.

      LOG_NOTICE - packets logged which are also passed

      LOG_WARNING - packets logged which are also blocked

      LOG_ERR - packets which have been logged and which can  be
      considered "short"

... only "pass" directives will/should be logged to "messages", *in
addition to* also being logged in "security".  "block" directives will
only be logged in "security".

> Now for my question. I do really want a separate log file for
> ipfilter.  How would a change syslog.conf to separate out the
> ipfilter logs from the rest without breaking any other logging?

Specify a file to ipmon(8) to log messages into via option "-D";
remove traces of ipf(8) activity from /etc/syslog.conf except as noted
below. Update /etc/newsyslog.conf(5) to have the ipf log file rotated
as you desire.

In order to avoid to specify the option & file name manually each time
you start your system, add something like the following to your
/etc/rc.conf ...

  ipmon_enable="YES"
  ipmon_flags="-D /var/log/ipf.log"

> how do I change the line for /var/log/messages so that no ipfilter
> stuff goes there without breaking something else?

Read syslog.conf(5) man page, especially the part about log levels.
After reading that, in the "/var/log/messages" column, change the
level of facility "security" from "*" to "none".

  - Parv