Date:      Sun, 02 Oct 2005 08:39:23 +0530
From:      Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
To:        "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem booting FBSD 5.4-stable..

J. T. Farmer sat at his 'puter and typed on 10/1/2005 23:24:
> Subhro wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Holmqvist sat at his 'puter and typed on 10/1/2005 17:45:
>>
>>> Running the latest BIOS version yes. Also running Fail safe options
>>> with the exception on that I've but the cdrom on first boot device.
>>> The cable setup is IDE1 <- HD0 (M) <- Cdrom (S). So yes, they're on
>>> the same cable with manual M/S-setup.
>>>
>>> // Sebastian Holmqvist
>>>
>> Great. FreeBSD, unlike Linux and Windowz is very very fusy about
>> hardware. As per the IDE specs, the master drive should always be at
>> the end of the cable. The middle is occupied by the slave drive,
>> which is not your case. For a start, I would try fixing that. Also it
>> is recommended not to mix drive types on a single bus. Therefore it
>> would be highly recommended to move the optical drive to the
>> secondary bus. Also do not rely on CS. Ecplicitly jumper them as
>> master and slave.
>

> Actually, my understanding of the specifications is that the only time
> you are required to place the master at the end of the cable is when
> it is the only device in the chain.  If there are two devices in the
> chain,
> then either can be Master and provide the timing for both.
>
> John

Hello John,

Unfortunately that is not correct. Just for an experiment, put both the
drives in CS and boot the system. Then try to find out which becomes the
master. I know CS is not reliable, but still...
The matter is of the IDE specifications which remains constant
irrespective of the number of drives on the bus.

Thanks
S.

--
      	         |                 Subhro Sankha Kar
      \   /      |    GSM: +919831064613  --  Fax: +919831832913
       \./	 |    MSN:subhro@subhro.org  --  Yahoo: subhro82
      (0Y0)	 |    ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM: bsdboy1982