Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:13:49 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        jan.husar@skosi.org
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, "Ernst W. Winter" <ewinter@ewinter.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of a pre ready presentation for Alternatives to Microsoft?

Continuance from thread starting:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-advocacy/2006-November/003003.html

"Jan Husar" wrote:
> Hello Julian,
>
> I can take a look of something which i used in past but is mostly
> alternatives on workstation level for public administration (cos I'm
> solving such issues in European Commisssion)
>
> the use of open standards such as ODF and PDF/A which is the *MOST*
> discussed issue within the European Union.
>
> Workstation use of Linux and Server running BSD, explanation of why
> apache foundation was and is so sucessfull and so on..
>
> Hopefully I have it with me, if not You must wait until I come back
> home to Slovakia and check my workstation at home.
>
> Jan
>
> ps: anyway, it's better to prepare something yourself and you can use
> mine as inspiration (or copy/paste even:)

Thanks Jan,
Did you find stuff I can work from ? URLs or per mail welcome.  Open
Doc Format of interest, as are other open office standards & tools.
I can web host anything approriate / permitted under copyright

My presentation is now scheduled for Fri 6 Apr 2007,
I plan to prepare in this order:
- Appeal for raw material to work from, eg here &
  I've contacted http://www.allbsd.de/src/Flyer/FreeBSD/PDF/ to see
  if they want to do a leaflet I could hand out at talk.  (Don't
  want to duplicate work
  Most of this has probably been done before by Linux people but
  I'm not sure whee to look, could spend longer browsing & searching
  than writing my own ?
- Familiarise/acquire hardware tools
	- I have a stick mouse JVC Handy Mouse HC-MM55U
	- May buy a Wireless Media Presenter
		(posting soon about them on usb@freebsd.org)
- Projector
	Determine resolution on projector supplied.
	Decide font size (not too small for back of room)
	Test with my X config on laptop at end of a previous session
- Dummy `slide' preparation
	Probably on /usr/ports/misc/magicpoint ?
	Perhaps do a framing macro.
- Try KDE system (not needed till now, I'm an old hand at Unix :-)
	& confer with Ernst cc'd who knows more ports/ for users than me.
- Write presentation, including bits from above, + also from eg
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/freebsd/#escape
	http://berklix.com/free/
	http://www.allbsd.de
- `Dress rehearsal ;-) to avoid demo effect.
- Give presentation. & publish on web after.

Anything I've missed ? Any resources (URLs) people can point me at ?

(I 'spose as we'll have 2 BSD laptops there, if we bought/borrowed
a webcam, we could record it, might interest some who can't travel
(& teach me what Not to do again ;-) )