Date:      Mon, 1 May 2006 13:22:52 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
To:        announce@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] Summer of Code Application Deadline in 1 week

The Summer of Code application process has officially begun.  This is
an excellent opportunity for students to get involved with improving
FreeBSD.  Successful student applicants will receive $4,500 in funding
from Google, will be granted an account on the FreeBSD.org Perforce
revision control system, and will receive an @freebsd.org mail forward
to help interact with other FreeBSD developers this summer.

We have identified a number of senior developers to serve as mentors
to introduce students to contributing to FreeBSD.  We have also
identified some example project ideas and guidelines for writing a
good proposal on our Summer of Code web page :

  http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode.html

There you will find a partial list of example proposal ideas in all
areas of operating system design, including networking, filesystems,
installation tools, parallel programming, security research and more.

Once a suitable project and mentor have been identified, interested
students should complete a proposal and submit it to Google.
Proposals are now being accepted and the final deadline is May 8, 2006
at 17:00 Pacific Daylight Time (midnight May 9, 2006 0:00 UTC).
Winning candidates will be announced in late May.

Interacting with a global team of open source developers in a
centralized revision control system is excellent preparation for a
future career as a software engineer.  Many of the students that
participated last year are still contributing code to FreeBSD.

For additional information about this program, please see the student
frequently asked questions page:

  http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html

Thanks and good luck!

       - Murray Stokely