Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:43:15 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

10 years ago I thought it would be fun to upgrade my 486 from DOS 6.22
to windows 95.  It took me about two weeks to realize what a horrible
mistake I had made, and my general dissatisfaction led me to seek out
a non-MS alternative.  I talked to some friends and mentioned that it
would be sort of fun to learn a unix of some sort.  One of them
recommended FreeBSD and about a week later I had a set of CDs from
Walnut Creek in my hand containing FreeBSD 2.1.5.  I've been using
FBSD ever since on my desktop and have even managed to make a living
at administrating FBSD boxes for others.  I've run into other OS's
over the years.  IRIX, Solaris, several linux distros, and am always
glad when I can get away from them and back to FreeBSD. :)

This email was sort of prompted by the news that the friend who showed
me the wonders of FreeBSD has started migrating everything he runs to
linux.  I won't get into his reasoning, it's not really relevent to
what I'm going on about.

I started thinking about what would force *me* into the corner of
having to move to a different OS and came up with a short list.

1)  SMP scalability.  4-way boxes are relatively common, and hardware
with higher CPU counts is only going to get more and more common.
I'm no industry expert, but 5 years from now will my clients be
considering buying 32 and 64 way boxes?  Possibly.  Will FreeBSD be
in a positiion to compete favorably vs. the alternatives on such
hardware?

2) RAID controller support.  This is a huge one that affects me
directly even today.  Lack of in OS management tools for RAID
controllers.  I have some options if I can pick the hardware, but if
a client brings me something and says this is the hardware you have
to deal with a lot of times putting FBSD on it means living without
management tools for the RAID controller in the OS.  What good is
hot-swappable drives if I have to take down the OS to rebuild the
array?

3) Lack of direction in the project.

The FreeBSD project has lost it's focus.  10 years ago there was a
clear direction and purpose to the OS.  It was targetted at
high-performance network server apps on x86 and alpha hardware.  Now
days I'm not so sure.  Is FBSD targetted at network servers, at
desktops, at embedded devices?  What architectures do we target?
Looking at the website I see alpha, amd64, ARM, i386, ia64, MIPS,
pc98, ppc, sparc64, sun4v, and xbox.  I know this is a volunteer
project, I know you really can't keep people from tinkering with what
they want to tinker with, but xbox?  It seems to me to be a waste of
resources to concentrate on anything besides i386/AMD64.....there's
plent of market share to be captured right there.  I look at that
list and see a future for AMD64.  (Yes, I wouldn't be at all
surprised if sparc went away)  ARM isn't going away, but is FreeBSD
really concerned with the embedded market?

FreeBSD does not have the support or the financial backing to be all
things to all people.  It can't compete across the board with linux,
so why try?  Even if FBSD got to the point where it was as flexible
as linux, HI, I'm a hard real time OS, and I'm a terrific desktop OS,
and I make a great platform for apache, and I scale really well on
1024-way clusters, it would end up being linux.....fragmented and
hacky and patched and ugly.

This is a rant, and I've purposely posted it here and not forwarded it
anyone who matters because it's not going to make any difference
anyways.  Feel free to prove me wrong, or to flame me.  It's slow at
work and I could use the diversion.

If you *do* decide to flame me please take a moment to grep for
josh@tcbug.org through the ports tree, or look for PR's with my name