Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 17:49:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   phpMyAdmin problem - no Edit/Delete on Browse

Hi,

running 5.4-RELEASE and installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.3 with pkg_add -r
(after finding installing from ports wanted to also fetch php4 sources
and heaps of other stuff I already had installed from packages on the
2-CD set).  I'd managed to find and install 5.4-R mysql packages also:

 smithi on paqi% pkg_info | grep -i "php\|mysql"
 libmcrypt-2.5.7_1   Multi-cipher cryptographic library (used in PHP)
 mysql-client-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (client)
 mysql-server-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (server)
 php4-4.3.10_2       PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
 php4-bz2-4.3.10_2   The bz2 shared extension for php
 php4-gd-4.3.10_2    The gd shared extension for php
 php4-mbstring-4.3.10_2 The mbstring shared extension for php
 php4-mcrypt-4.3.10_2 The mcrypt shared extension for php
 php4-mysql-4.3.10_2 The mysql shared extension for php
 php4-openssl-4.3.10_2 The openssl shared extension for php
 php4-pcre-4.3.10_2  The pcre shared extension for php
 php4-zlib-4.3.10_2  The zlib shared extension for php
 phpMyAdmin-2.6.1.3  A set of PHP-scripts to manage MySQL over the web

phpmyadmin basically works fine.  I'd imported my databases from dumps,
and all looked good after a bit of configuration.  However when starting
to do some real work on a couple of databases, I noticed that while
browsing any database, the Edit and Delete options do not appear with
each row, ie I can not update existing records (even as -u root)

I'd suspected permissions, but I can insert new records, add/drop/empty
tables and databases, bookmark queries and all.  The permissions and
ownership of and in /var/db/mysql are the same as my old 4.5-R system.

$cfg['ModifyDeleteAtLeft'] = TRUE; I've also tried adding ...AtRight as
well, but neither show up.  If relevant, I'm using apache-1.3.33_1 and
mozilla-1.7.7,2 .. all of this is just running on the local machine, so
I'm not at the moment concerned with just security-issue updates.

I haven't been able to find anything in later version change notes or
PRs indicating anything like this problem, and updating to the current
port would require updating php, mysql, expat and even xorg versions,
which is just not doable over a 28.8k modem connection I'm afraid, so
the 'usual' answer of cvsuping and updating everything is not helpful;
in any case I suspect this is more likely a maybe subtle config issue?

Any clues folks?

cheers, Ian