Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:33:58 +0100
From:      Richard =?iso-8859-1?q?K=E4stner?= <richard.kaestner@ycn.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   mapping [process|socket|...] to Filesystem

Hello,

hope to find some help, hints and experience here:

an external device expects commands and command data,
it produces result-codes and result data.
Communication is done via HTTP (and working)

The idea is, to allow access via Samba, which requires either implementatio=
n=20
of Samba - VFS modules or mapping to BSD-Filesystem - pseudofs came to my=20
mind.

Currently I try (and err) with a modified version of procfs.=20
So far I can compile, boot the new kernel, mount and access the first few =
=20
primitives: 2 directories and a file (read only)

Is, what I am trying:
=2D useless / stupid
=2D better to do with Samba VFS-module
=2D error prone due to accessing network in "kernel-land"
=2D can I run into troubles because of networking "problems-of-any-kind"
=2D simply the wrong way (because something similar exists, ...)
(I have to say, I know about C, I experimented with device drivers - but th=
is=20
is my first step into the depth of kernel programming ...)

Another, more technical question:=20
can I create dynamic directories / files using pseudofs, or do I have to=20
re-init everything?

Thanks in advance for every input!

regards

R.Kaestner