Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:05:37 GMT
From:      Sanja<sanja+freebsd@bougakov.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/107382: "Fatal trap 12" when installing FreeBSD 6.1 on old notebook

>Number:         107382
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       "Fatal trap 12" when installing FreeBSD 6.1 on old notebook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I've downloaded latest FreeBSD disk image from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/6.1/6.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso and tried to boot using it.

My notebook hangs one second after I pick any of the boot options.

The error message is "Fatal trap 12", it includes the following addresses:

Fault virtual address = 0xeb7bb
Instruction pointer   = 0x20:0xc00eb6bc
stack pointer         = 0x28:0xc10209e0
frame pointer         = 0x28:0xc10209e0
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b, DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1

Safe mode, verbose mode boots gave me same error.

I am using old Mitac notebook with Pentium I 233 processor. Windows 2000 works fine on this machine. I've checked it for memory problems several times and found none.

Google and PR search quoting fault address or instr. pointer gave me no results.