Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:20:53 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   laptop multihoming [was: [OT] resolv.conf and dhclient]

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 01:36:15PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I use Tobias Roth's profile.sh which is available from
> https://secure.socket.ch/projects/profile/. It is less than perfect, but
> works very well for me. It allows totally different user environments
> depending on your network connection.
>
> It works by union mounting a different copy of /etc depending on what is
> probed on the network. I have profiles for home (wireless), work (1
> location wired and 1 wired + wireless), and general random connections.
>
> Since the entire rc.conf as well as all other files in /etc may be
> connection specific, you can do almost anything you want to vary the
> config.

Please allow me to make a remark about the current state of profile.sh.

It currently works for me, and others. However, its architecture is based
on the outdated assumption that location changes are only triggered at
startup (startup in a new environment) or at resume (suspend and then
resume somewhere else).

Now, we are currently moving to a much more dynamic behaviour, where
location changes can happen at any time. The new dhcp client as well as
wpa supplicant are steps towards that direction. Profile.sh, though, is
not suited for this.

A better solution has to be found, that retains as much of the flexibility
of profile.sh as possible. I am not yet actively working on this, and I
don't know when I will have the time to start. But the topic of 'laptop
multihoming' or whatever you want to call it is still important, I think.

Thanks, Tobias