Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:08:54 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad - UltraBay battery magic

On 17 Jun 2006 at 16:54, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > When installing a 2nd battery (i.e in the UltraBay after removing the
> > CD drive) in a ThinkPad, I think there's some magic you must invoke
> > to get the system to notice the additional power resource.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> The code to allow ACPI to add batteries has yet to be written (or committed,
> at least). If the system is booted with 2 two batteries, both will be seen.
> Even it one is removed and then returned, it will be seen. But if a system is
> booted with a single battery, ACPI will not ever see the second battery.
>
> Please note that the second battery WILL be seen by the hardware and both
> charged and used.

I rebooted.  It froze after probing ad0.  I powered off.  I removed
the spare battery. I rebooted.  Froze again, same place.  I put in
the CD drive, it booted fine.  I swapped out the CD drive and put the
battery back in.  This time I did a verbose boot.

In short:
both batteries are seen in the probing.
ad0 is probed
pcm0 is measured
fdc0: output ready timeout
[repeat above line 7 times]
GEOM: new disk ad0

Screen shot here:

  http://www.langille.org/tmp/100_2831.jpg

Ideas? Suggestions?

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php