Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:49:05 -0400
From:      Erin E Conn <econn@nc.rr.com>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebooting problems with /dev/cxm0

R. B. Riddick wrote:
> Hmm... U seem to have a much different problem than I had, because: The "dd"
> command merely reads from /dev/cxm0 as fast as possible without any delay (e.
> g. due to busy network or disc), since /dev/null is quite quick... So I did not
> send my "cxm-network-transfer&buffering-tool", because one side of it does
> nearly the same as the "dd" command, and because my box was able to do the "dd"
> test for many hours...

Actually, turns out the X server crashing was due to an xscreensaver
upgrade and it was crashing whenever the screensaver kicked in. I
reinstalled xscreensaver and that seems to have fixed it. It does appear
that my system is more stable using dd to /dev/null, and indeed cat to
/dev/null doesn't seem to cause any problems either. I got a lot of dma
buffer warnings when using a blocksize of 1 byte, but 1m seemed to be fine.