Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2006 00:14:19 +0200
From:      "Jan Zacharias" <fbsd-performance@graphics.cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba performance, TCP Stack Issue?

Hi,

was anybody able to tune the Samba service (2.2.12 or 3.0.23b) so that it
would perform out as well as
unter linux where it maxes out at about 11 Mb/s using some Intel/3com card?

So far, the most I got out of it was ~6 Mb/s while txing one file to a
win2k station, curiously I get
~8.5 Mb/s when txing multiple files in parallel.

So far i messed with:

  - ifconfig mtu
  - net.inet.tcp settings
  - smb's socket options

Tuning SO_SNDBUF gave only very little gain, adapting the mtu to match the
win2k box was useless.
W/a net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable enabled the txrate is 2 Mb/s lower,
however 6 Mb/s is still SLOW.

I cant find the bottleneck, as the system is quite idle.

Any Suggestions?

Greetz,

Jan

--
Co.G.Wheel - Administation Group, Computer Graphics Lab of Saarland
University