Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:12:29 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with version 6.0

On Saturday 11 March 2006 18:48, Peter wrote:

> You can answer me tomorrow if you like but here is an update:
>
> I removed the cdrom and the problem remains.  I got the usb ports to
> work as well by updating the bios and fiddling with some settings.
> It is truly a mystery why this 300 GB drive cannot talk to FreeBSD.
> Again, it is detected fine by the bios; it passes dos level
> diagnostics; it is on the same ide cable (as slave) as the 200 GB
> drive that is identical to it save for an extra 100 GB.  My next step
> is to boot with knoppix to see how it behaves.
>
> --
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I've recovered sufficiently enough that I can type without spending all
my time correcting spelling errors that a spelling checker can't fix.

OK, does dmesg still give this with the cdrom removed:

ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable
ad0: 39205MB <Maxtor 6K040L0 NAR61HA0> at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <GCR-8525B/1.02> at ata0-slave PIO4
ad2: 190782MB <Seagate ST3200826A 3.03> at ata1-master UDMA100
ad3: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300831A 3.03> at ata1-slave UDMA100
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

If the message for ad0 has changed, and it is now detected as an ata100
device and is running at UDMA100, you've solved part of your problem.
Your system will access the boot drive at a higher speed.

ad3 is still detected but you can't access it. So, I have to ask: when
you set up the system, did you install a ufs system on it? Did you
carve it up using bsdlabel? Or, did you leave it alone because you
plane on using it for something else? This would be a reason for why it
shows up on dmesg, but you can't access it.

Now, you need to do something about the cdrom. It's kind of unhandy to
be without one. That's why I asked if you really needed the 40GB Maxtor
and if you did, suggested you get an ata controller card, then you
could use all three drives. And I also asked if you could just remove
that drive and use the two Seagates.

I guess there's one other question: how did you get from 5.4 to 6.0, and
is it 6.0 or is it 6 STABLE?

Don