Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:42:06 +0100
From:      martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/qemu: crashes with "Bad system call: 12"

Josh Carroll wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Win2K but QEMU is constantly crashing with:
>>
>> Bad system call: 12
>
> According to the qemu man page, there is an option you need when
> installing windows 2000. I don't know if it'd cause the bad system
> call message, but it's worth a shot. Also, I think the newer qemu port
> require aio (kldload aio, if it's not built into your kernel).
>
>       -win2k-hack
>           Use it when installing Windows 2000 to avoid a disk full
> bug. After
>           Windows 2000 is installed, you no longer need this option (this
>           option slows down the IDE transfers).
>
> Give that a shot.
>
> Josh
>

>> The command line I'm using is a variation of the following:
>>
>> qemu -cdrom /opt/win2k.iso -hda /opt/c.img -m 256 -boot d -win2k-hack
>>
>> First I tried to boot directly from CD.  Also I used QCOW disk image but
>> QEMU crashed at a very early stage (before Win2K installer kicked in).
>> Now I'm using RAW disk image and QEMU actually runs up to after initial
>> Win2K installer reads device configuration files.
>>
>> What might be wrong and how to fix it please ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> PS: QEMU is freshly installed from ports on FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE.

hi,

i tried that win2k option and qemu still fails with or without it. :-/

i loaded up aio(4) module and while displaying the following ...

Nov 12 01:24:38 mb-aw1n-bsd kernel: WARNING: Network stack Giant-free,
but aio requires Giant.
Nov 12 01:24:38 mb-aw1n-bsd kernel: Consider adding 'options
NET_WITH_GIANT' or setting debug.mpsafenet=0

... it actually helped my case and now i'm curiously installing
winblows.. ;o)

many thanks !!

martin

ps: i'm cc-ing the lists for archives.