Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:48:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      kama <kama@pvp.se>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Albert Shih <shih@math.jussieu.fr>
Subject:   Re: Disappointed

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:37:41PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
>
> > OK I just do it. I just hope the maintainer can understand me...
> >

> > > As a first step: you say your server crashed.  Did it panic?  Do you
> > > have debugging settings (INVARIANTS, WITNESS) enabled?  Do you have
> > > DDB enabled?  Read through the chapter on kernel debugging in the
> > > developers' handbook and reconfigure your kernel accordingly, then
> > > proceed from there.
> >
> > Well it's no so easy. I can try but there least 600 users waiting the big
> > fsck when the server crash. I'm not sure I can spend many time to try
> > this.. But I promise you I will try.
>
> Thanks.  You need to evaluate whether it's more important for you to
> try to get the problem fixed, or to keep dealing with the downtime
> from the crashes.  Trying to reproduce on a test machine is also a
> good idea.
>
> Unfortunately, debugging system problems does take work, but at the
> same time if you can't put the work in, it's not so likely you'll be
> able to resolve the problem.
>
> > NB: Why this kind of problem can happen ? I ask this because until 6. I
> > never have this kind of problem.
>
> All software has bugs, and sometimes hardware has bugs too.

I can not provide you much either... But I have similar problem. But for
me it crashes within a couple of days.

The system is a HP Proliant DL380 G3. Which mean it runs ciss(4) and
bge(4). Its a generic SMP kernel, but I have tried without SMP enabled
before.  The system is running the news software Diablo and are set up as
a feeder. Give or take aprox 100 incoming connections feeding aprox
200Mbp and 20 outgoing feeding aprox 200Mbps.

I have tried to follow the docs about creating a dump into /var/crash. But
there is none to be seen. Perhaps I have missed something, or it is
actually not created. I will go through those again once I am back at
work on tuesday.

It feels like its just freezes and reboots without any warnings at all.

If someone will give me a simple step by step walkthrough, I can make it
in whatever way you want me to.

/Bjorn