Date:      Sun, 13 May 2007 03:34:38 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@tower.berklix.net>
To:        des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?utf-8?Q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?=)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Libre Software Meeting in Amiens, France, 10-14 July

Dag-Erling =?utf-8?Q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= wrote:
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@tower.berklix.net> writes:
> > American is the industry language.  (eg Korean Mboard BIOSes boot
> > with American not English key layouts etc, I'm British, lucky enough
> > to read German & French, but remember many can't read French).
>
> You apparently don't read much French,

A Guess.

> or you'd know what he wrote was a
> direct reply to the OP, accidentally sent to the list...

Your surmise of only intent might be right or not. I preferred to Ask.

> > Perhaps you cc's advocacy@ in French by accident ?  If not:

I asked as there's always been special linguistic emphasis in France:

   At 1st tech. session at the EUUG in Paris a quarter century ago, ~1982
   I had considerable sympathy for the non English native speakers
   who also didn't speak French, who argued for the conference to
   be in the English advertised, & not in the French the 1st tech.
   speaker persisted in.
   France since passed laws penalising foreign words in the press,
   & underwent internal debate on what language to publish scientific
   papers in.  Official language of telecoms is French, but Aviation:
   English, etc. Conference language is a question of particular
   importance in France.

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.  Dump cigs: Try snuff.