Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:05:31 +0200
From:      "Andy Kosela" <andy.kosela@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, andy.kosela@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml

Doug Barton wrote:
> What I think would be more useful (and again, I'm speaking only for
> myself) would be a list of tools available with a brief description of
> each, and links to outside sources (web pages, pkg-descr files, etc.)
> where an interested user can get more information. I do think that
> letting our users know that there are tools available is a good thing,
> I don't think mini-manuals for each tool is appropriate in that context.
>
> If anyone else thinks that this is a good idea, I'd be happy to
> contribute a paragraph on portmaster, and help with rewriting that
> section if desired.

Hi all,

I see that chinsan's commit generated some confusion and sparked a
discussion about
the overall goals of this chapter. Fist of all it wasn't me who
submitted this new paragraph but I was asked by chinsan to write
something on bpkg(8), because he wanted to include information about
bpkg(8) in the Handbook.

As Marc politely remarked the only "semi-official" tool is
portupgrade(1) and I fully agree with him it should be the only one
fully documented in the Handbook. I don't see any reason to include an
additional nearly identical manual for portmanager (with all due
respect to its creator). But at the same time I agree with Doug here
when he says about the idea of creating a list of actively maintained
ports management applications with a description of each. Letting the
community know the alternatives is a good thing IMHO.

Chinsan, Doug - will you be working on this? I am willing to offer my
help if needed.

Best regards,

--
Andy Kosela
Pythagoras Foundation

"What is that which always is and has no becoming, and what is that
which becomes but never is" Plato