Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:03:44 -0400
From:      Martin Turgeon <turgeon.martin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386 with PAE or AMD64 on PowerEdge with 4G RAM

Good afternoon,

I just receive 2 PowerEdge servers (a 1950 and a 860) both with 4G of
RAM. I installed FreeBSD 6.2 Release i386 on both of them.
Unfortunately, only 3,5G is recognized on the 860 and 3,3G on the 1950.
dmesg on 860:
real memory  = 3757834240 (3583 MB)
avail memory = 3678318592 (3507 MB)

I am facing a difficult decision. Should I use i386 with PAE enabled in
the kernel (I read a lot of warnings using it) or should I go with
AMD64? Which branch should I follow?

These servers will be front-end/back-end MySQL(with replication) and
Apache servers with BIND, Postfix, Dovecot, PF.

There is the detailled configuration of the servers:
PowerEdge 1950
Xeon 5110
4G RAM
PERC 5 Raid controller (mfi)