Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:49:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   wifi connection to resortwifi

I'm trying to connect to "Resort Wifi" whilst staying in my hotel.  I can
get windows XP to connect fine, but FreeBSD seems to have a hard time with
dhclient.  The problem seems to be that the resort wants to connect as if
I had issued the following instructions:

ifconfig ndis0 inet 192.168.4.190 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
route add default 192.168.4.1

If I do this by hand, I get an error message after the "route" command.  I
can get around it by typing:

ifconfig ndis0 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default 192.168.4.1

where the netmask was chosen somewhat arbitrarily, and then it all works
fine.  I get the feeling that "resortwifi" are doing something bad,
perhaps taking an advantage of a bug in Windows XP that should reject this
bogus DHCP assignment.

Anyway, can any of you suggest a more permanent workaround?  I bet I'll
get messed up when my dhcp assignment gets renewed.